Thursday, January 13, 2011

PMTTYD pre-Ch4 Pit of 100 Trials complete!

It seems attempting it pre-Ch4 was just right for my skill level. (I doubt pre-Ch5 (as I originally planned) would have been a challenge at all.)

I actually utilized pretty much every move I had quite often-- that is, all 3 moves of Goombella/Koops/Flurrie, Spin Jump, Super Hammer, Power Smash, Piercing Blow, Quake Hammer, Power Bounce, Sweet Treat, Earth Tremor, Clock Out... I even found uses for badges that I don't normally equip, such as Double Dip P and Super Appeal P.

Though interestingly enough, I didn't seem to need Yoshi (Gulp was a useful defense-piercing attack but I think I could use Flurrie's Lip Lock instead) or Power Lift (I had to save my Star Energy for the other 3 moves)... I may actually be able to complete it pre-Ch3, but I'd need to survive without the Super Hammer. And I was using Quake Hammer and Piercing Blow extremely often against the higher-defense enemies.

Bonetail was quite interesting-- I basically had Mario stay in front, with the help of Lucky Day + Pretty Lucky to dodge a few of the attacks, using Sweet Treat nearly every turn to recover 6-7 HP/FP. Meanwhile, the partner did most of the attacking (I had both Power Plus P badges equipped). It's actually quite an effective strategy-- since Bonetail does 7-8 damage per turn (and the occasional misses allowed me to use a few Piercing Blows for the quadruple-stylish to recover Star Energy), I think I won without using any healing items.

(By the way, the level difference actually doesn't matter that much due to the Star Point system-- it seems you pretty much always finish the Pit at around level 23-26, unless you're already near/above that range when you enter in the first place. (I started at HP/FP/BP 10/15/24, and finished at 30/30/48 or so.))

No comments:

Post a Comment